craniosacral therapy


Babies and Children



Amy was six months old when her parents brought her to see me. She had been screaming continuously for all of those six months, day and night, night and day, all day, every day. She was screaming as she arrived, in obvious inconsolable pain.
Her parents had taken her to countless doctors, specialists and therapists. She had been given endless medications. Nothing had helped.
Her parents were at their wits end. They were desperately concerned for their baby. They had hardly had any sleep in six months. They were exhausted. They couldn’t take Amy anywhere because of her constant screaming. They couldn’t invite friends round. Their life was a continuous nightmare. They were on the point of breaking up. I placed a hand on Amy’s abdomen and a hand on her head. Within a few seconds she had stopped screaming. Within minutes she was asleep. From that moment on, she was a happy healthy little girl, no longer screaming inconsolably, growing up contentedly just like any other child. Life became peaceful and harmonious. Her parents stayed together and had another child. I saw Amy and her younger brother from time to time as they grew up healthy and happy - family life transformed from the nightmare of those early months.
What happened during those few minutes of treatment?
What happened was Cranio-Sacral Integration.


Sophie was 10 and had been a very lively, enthusiastic girl, always keen to go to school, always having friends round and going to her friends’ houses, enjoying a multitude of different activities with great enthusiasm. Then she caught flu - nothing unusual about that - she was unwell for a week or two, but when the illness was over, she just wasn’t the same girl any more. She was constantly tired, she didn’t want to go to school, she just sat around, not wanting to do anything; she was moody and irritable, and this dragged on and on and on for months. Of course her mother took her to the doctor, but the doctor couldn’t identify any cause or offer any solution.
By the time her mother brought her to me, it has been almost a year and Sophie was still lethargic and apathetic. Just one treatment cleared out the persistent effects that had lodged in her system, dragging her down into her debilitated state and Sophie was transformed. She positively bounded off the table, was raring to go to school the next day and wanted friends round after school. Her mother was overjoyed “I’m so delighted to have my little girl back”.


Toby’s parents brought him to see me for two main reasons. He was suffering from colic, and he wasn’t sleeping much at night. He was also generally quite a restless child. Throughout the day he was restless, wingeing, crying on and off, squirming around in apparent discomfort. It was particularly bad soon after each feed and he would often bring up part of his feed. He would usually be a bit better after bringing up wind, but soon the restless squirming and discomfort would start again. At night he would go to sleep alright, but then he kept waking up crying several times during the night. He was 8 months old and been like this since soon after birth. His parents had tried everything they could but he didn’t seem to be getting any better.
After his first treatment, Toby seemed more settled and slept better that night, but soon returned to his usual restlessness and squirming. After the second session he had 3 good nights and seemed much happier, but gradually his symptoms retuned. With each session the effects were lasting longer and his parents were feeling very pleased.
Then he got a bad cold which spread to an ear infection and he was unwell for a couple of weeks, and after that he started waking again during the night (although his colic symptoms had disappeared and didn’t return). It took a few sessions to address the effects of the cold and ear infection. Gradually he settled again and soon he was sleeping through the night and was generally much calmer. His parents kept bringing him for a treatment every few months for a check up and to keep him in balance. Now I just see him every six months or so, or if he has an illness or fall which unsettles him.


Olivia was 9 months old and she had been in hospital for the last 3 months. She was having epileptic fits every 3 minutes or so, repeatedly, 24 hours a day, and had been doing so for the past 6 months. Every few minutes she would start to shake, her eyes would roll, her head would pull back and her whole body would tremble for a minute or so, then it would subside, only to start up again 3 minutes later. She and her mother were living in the hospital so that she could be monitored and cared for constantly. Every medication for epilepsy and several others besides had been tried without any benefit. The hospital had exhausted all possibilities and had run out of ideas.
Olivia’s parents heard about Cranio-Sacral Therapy and phoned me and asked if it would be possible for me to go and see her in hospital. I arrived to find Olivia going through her regular fits every three minutes. As I engaged with her Cranio-Sacral system, I could feel a very powerful pattern of compression as if her head and neck had been compressed forcefully down into her shoulders and twisted to the right - a common consequence of a difficult birth (although there was no sign of this externally). As the treatment session progressed, she continued to experience her fits every few minutes. I maintained engagement, allowing her system to release the profound effects of birth trauma that were imprinted into her. I spent 2 hours with Olivia that evening, allowing the treatment process to take its course.
By the end of the treatment she was fitting only every 20 minutes (instead of every 3 minutes). The next day she came out of hospital. When the family came to see me a week later, she was just experiencing a few fits each day, and within a few more treatments, the fits had disappeared completely.

>Back To Top<


Simon had asthma. He had suffered a chest infection soon after birth, for which he had been given antibiotics, and his chest had been weak ever since, often prone to coughs and colds, especially during the winter of course. At the age of 5, with his cough becoming more persistent and severe he had been diagnosed with asthma. He was now 7 and was using the usual inhalers. His mother described him as an anxious child, and it was noticeable that times of stress often brought on asthma attacks.
At the end of his first session, Simon said that his chest felt much clearer than it had ever been, so he was keen to come back for more treatment. Gradually over a series of treatments his chest cleared, his cough disappeared, and his mother noticed that he seemed much more confident and happy. When winter came he caught a cold and his cough started to return, but it soon settled again with a few treatments. By spring he no longer needed his inhalers (although he kept them just in case). Initially, each winter there would be a slight tendency for his cough to return, especially if he caught a cold, so he would come for a treatment if necessary. Now he no longer needs any further treatment. He no longer suffers from asthma. He’s playing a lot of sport and has become a much more outgoing and confident child.


Timothy was just 15 months old when he was brought to me. He had been crying, screaming, waking every hour through the night, and constantly hyperactive for over a year, since contracting meningitis at the age of 3 months. The meningitis had of course been treated medically, but Timothy was not the same child. The family doctor insisted that his symptoms were nothing to do with his meningitis, that there was nothing wrong with him, that he was just a ‘crying’ baby. His parents knew perfectly well that he had been a perfectly happy peaceful baby before the meningitis, they were deeply concerned about him, and their life of endless sleepless nights with Timothy waking up screaming every hour was deeply disturbing – but the doctor wouldn’t refer them for further investigations.
Eventually they encountered the Meningitis Trust who referred them to me. His whole head felt so contracted and tight, it was as if it had shriveled inside like a dried fruit. No wonder he was uncomfortable. It was immediately recognizable as the classic effects of meningitis. The night after his first session, Timothy slept for 15 hours without a break (having not slept for more than an hour at a time for over a year). The next day he was much more settled than he had been for the past year. It took a few more sessions to clear the effects completely, but soon he was a peaceful calm contented happy little boy again.


Arabella was 12 years old and her right knee had been painful for a long time – she wasn’t sure how long but it seemed like years. It was preventing her from playing sport, or running, and even day to day activities with her friends were constantly disturbed by her knee pain.
With every patient, we assess the whole person and look at the overall balance of the body and any factors that might be contributing to the symptoms or the situation. In Arabella’s case, within the context of overall treatment, it was immediately obvious that the imbalance was coming very specifically from the knee itself, although neither she nor her father could remember any injury that might have caused the problem.
Fascial Unwinding is a very valuable aspect of Cranio-Sacral Therapy (although not used by all Cranio-Sacral therapists). Since it was evidently appropriate in this case, I included Fascial Unwinding of the knee in the treatment, and as the knee ‘unwound’, Arabella suddenly had a vivid memory of an incident a few years earlier when she had been sitting on the side of a boat with her legs dangling down the side, and the boat had moved up against the quayside, squashing her right knee. It hadn’t seemed like a significant injury at the time and it had been several years ago, but that injury had been lodged in her knee ever since, disturbing its fluent function and gradually causing increasing strain on the surrounding tissues.
As often happens during Fascial Unwinding, the process of connecting with the original injury triggered a sudden memory of the original incident. With the release, her knee recovered instantly and no further treatment was needed.

>Back To Top<


Sarah just couldn’t keep still. She was always fidgeting. She wouldn’t settle into anything for very long, and this was causing difficulties at school, where she couldn’t concentrate, was falling behind with her work, and getting into trouble for not paying attention. This was becoming a significant problem as she was now 11 and her education was suffering significantly. She was a very sweet little girl, very chatty and giggly and charming, and very apologetic about her inability to keep still.
Treating Sarah was great fun, never a dull moment. Engaging with her cranio-sacral system was like riding a high speed roller coaster – she was as busy on the inside as she was on the outside. Gradually she became more settled. Her mother reported some significant moments of focused activity at home, and school teachers were reporting an improvement. After a while she even started to fall asleep during treatment sessions, and her mother reported that she was sleeping much better at home also.
It was a gradual process. These patterns had after all been there since birth and were deeply ingrained, but gradually Sarah became calmer and able to concentrate more effectively; and school and home life became much more settled and satisfactory. Sarah is still a very lively, chatty, charming girl, but is now much more able to focus and concentrate.



Angela had received Canio-Sacral treatment herself - before her pregnancy and during her pregnancy. When the new baby arrived she brought her baby for treatment - since she knew that all babies should be checked at birth. She herself was clearly exhausted and struggling and I suggested that she would also benefit from a treatment - but she was too tired and busy, both with the baby and with her two other daughters, to arrange a treatment. She brought her new baby daughter several times during that first year - since she believed firmly that all babies should have regular check-ups and treatments during their first few months and years. Life didn't get any easier for her. She still felt and looked exhausted and stressed. Finally I persuaded her that she wasn’t doing any of her children a favour by carrying on the way she was and she finally - after more than a year - arranged a treatment.
At the end of that first treatment she got up looking completely different and said ‘Why oh why didn’t I do this a year ago. I feel transformed. I had forgotten what it was like to feel normal’.


Sally had been in bad way ever since the birth of her son a year ago – tearful, depressed, unable to cope, afraid that she wasn’t looking after her son adequately and the effect that that was going to have on him. She was crying a lot of the time. She was also suffering from persistent back pain, pain down her right leg, tightness in her chest, tightness in her stomach, pain around her caesarean scar, often aching all over, exhausted, not sleeping and most of all feeling a sense of hopelessness - not knowing how she was going to manage ever again.
This had been going on for a year. Her doctor had given her antidepressants, but this had left her feeling even more strange. She had also been given sleeping pills but this left her more depressed, and fearful that she wouldn’t wake up for her baby. Her son wasn’t sleeping much, so she was constantly up at night, never getting a good night’s sleep and feeling totally wiped out.
Nothing was helping and there seemed to be no way out. It was just dragging on and on day after day with no hope. She felt that she was going round in circles, getting nowhere, making no progress and she was frightened that this was going to go on for the rest of her life and that she would never get better and never be able to bring up her son properly. What would happen to him? What would happen to her?
She first came to see me when she brought her son because she had heard that Cranio-Sacral Therapy could help babies to sleep better. She hadn’t realized that Cranio-Sacral Therapy could help adults as well.
Her son was soon sleeping better, which helped, but his disturbed patterns were inevitably affected and reinstated by her own state and her anxieties. And she was still very depressed, tearful, anxious and in a lot of pain.
Seeing the benefits of treatment for her son, she arranged to have a treatment for herself and although there was no instant magical solution, she could immediately feel the beneficial effects of the gentle Cranio-Sacral treatment spreading through her body.
Life was still very difficult. Gradually, week by week, the Cranio-Sacral process started to dissolve her tensions, relieve her pain, to bring about an internal reorganisation and reintegration of mind, body and spirit.
There was a great deal to address on many levels – the strains of giving birth, the effects of the caesarian, the physical imbalances and discomforts, the exhaustion, the depression, the underlying emotional patterns - and we continued to work regularly over the next year or so.
After a few weeks, her son didn’t need any further treatment, but she continued to receive regular treatment for herself and gradually the dark clouds lifted, her pain eased, life became bearable and there seemed to be light at the end of the tunnel.
Things continued to progress until life became manageable, and looked much brighter, and as her health improved she became confident that she would feel better and better and that she would be able to look after her son and cope with life. And so in due course, life became comfortable and enjoyable and happy again. It had taken time - complex situations like this often do - but it had been worth it. After all, what would have happened to her and her family otherwise.

>Back To Top<



Jane was in her mid-40s, crippled with back pain. She was on crutches, and even with the crutches every step was intensely painful. She had been in pain for many years, unable to do anything much – which was a severe burden, since she was by nature a very active lady. She had seen several osteopaths, and one manipulation had severely aggravated her condition, leaving her very wary and fearful of further treatment. She had had two operations and an injection to deaden the nerve. Nothing had helped. She was very wary of seeing any further practitioners due to her previous unsatisfactory experiences, so she was very reluctant to come and see me despite reassurances from her friends that I was extremely gentle and would not be manipulating her back at all.
Eventually she was persuaded. She hobbled in on her crutches, every step making her wince with pain. Getting on to the treatment couch was difficult, but at least once she was there lying on her back with her knees up, the pain was slightly reduced. Her back was so painful that I could not put a hand under her back, or under her Sacrum, or anywhere near her back. Any movement or contact was intensely painful. The only place I could contact her was her head. So I sat at her head, engaging with her Cranio-Sacral system. As I projected down through her spine, I could feel the various blockages and imbalances, and the effects of the various manipulations and injections, and the severe restriction around the site of the pain – and the Cranio-Sacral process doing its work. Gradually, the process of integration proceeded.
At the end of that first treatment, she got up and was able to walk. There was still a little pain, but she no longer needed her crutches. Within a few treatments she was back to her former active self again – completely free of back pain, as busy as ever.


Carrie had had severe headaches for years. She was living on pain killers, taking several every day just to get through the day. They deadened the pain to some extent but life was still a constant struggle and although she wanted to be out and about and enjoying life, she was doing little other than working (just about) and sleeping. Her head also felt extremely tight, as if held in a vice. She had seen countless doctors, specialists and therapists but nobody could offer any explanation or solution.
She was now in her mid twenties and the headaches had been there since she was 14 when she had contracted a virus of some sort that had left her feeling weak and unwell for a few weeks. She had never recovered properly and was now giving up hope of ever feeling better.
Her first session reduced the headache significantly, but as the week went by the headaches gradually returned. With each subsequent session, the effects lasted longer, the headaches reduced further and to her great relief the vice-like tightness in her head started to dissolve away.
Within a few weeks Carrie felt so much better that she decided not to continue with further treatment. I pointed out that the effects were not fully dealt with yet and that the headaches would probably come back if they weren’t fully addressed. Sure enough, after a few weeks she was back, saying that the headaches had returned and were gradually deteriorating and her head was feeling tight again. This time we continued the treatment till her head felt completely clear. It took time but when something as significant as that has been around for so many years, it’s likely to take time to clear completely.


It was 3 years since Marion’s car accident. She had been driving peacefully along the main road close to her home when another car pulled out from a side road shunting her car sideways and into the path of an oncoming car. It hadn’t been a particularly severe accident, and although it gave her quite a shock she didn’t feel much pain initially. The next day her neck became very sore and stiff. By the following day her whole back was hurting, and she was feeling increasingly unclear mentally. From that day on, life had been difficult – with frequent visits to the doctor and to various specialists, and extensive physiotherapy for several months. She had been off work for 6 months but was now back at work because, although she didn’t feel up to it at all, she was concerned that she would lose her job if she was away any longer.
When she came to see me, her condition had not improved. She still had constant neck pain and mental confusion and headaches. Her back was still very painful in various places. After 3 yrs without any significant progress, she was feeling that her situation seemed fairly hopeless.
We began the process of Cranio-Sacral integration. Her body had taken quite a battering from various different directions, the effects of which were all tangled up together and not surprisingly her system was finding it difficult to let go. And after 3 yrs the patterns of injury and restriction were deeply ingrained into her body.
It was inevitably a gradual process. Initially Marion didn’t feel any better; in fact her neck seemed a little more painful and she also felt more emotional. I reassured her that this was to be expected. The shock and emotion that she had been holding onto since the accident needed to come out; and the release of protective tensions that were holding her together and trying to keep the underlying pain at bay can sometimes lead to pain rising to the surface in order to be released.
She persevered and soon she began to feel improvement. Her neck became more mobile and less painful, her head felt clearer. She was relieved to know that it was OK to release emotion and she talked about the accident and her frustration at not getting better and her fear of possibly losing her job and how life was such a struggle, and she cried a little.
After a few weeks she was feeling much better, physically and emotionally. There was still some lower back pain which we continued to treat, and there was a tendency for other aches and pains to return if she did too much or was under too much pressure. We reduced the sessions to once a month and continued the process of integration until all her pain was gone and she felt she could live a fully active life again without risk of pain or the return of past symptoms.
She still comes for a treatment now and again to keep things in balance, and she is very relieved to be back to health again after so long.

>Back To Top<


Frank’s back had been painful for years. It was his lower back, especially on the right. His job involved a lot of lifting and carrying so his back was constantly under strain, and he had suffered an injury to that part of his back 20 years ago in his early twenties, which hadn’t seemed significant at the time but was the same place where he was feeling the pain now. He also had intermittent pain in his right shoulder, particularly when he had been doing a lot of lifting.
With each session his back improved and after about six sessions he was feeling very pleased that his pain was virtually gone – when one day, after some heavy lifting at work, it came back again, but this time on the left side. Frank was very disappointed but I assured him that this would just be a temporary relapse, probably reflecting the emergence of his old injury from 20 years ago. His back soon settled again and as the pain disappeared, Frank reported that his back and his whole body felt looser and more mobile than ever before. In the meantime we had also been working on his shoulder, which had seemed a bit unresponsive initially, but after the 3rd session, suddenly released significantly, again leaving a sense of greater looseness and mobility and a lightness which seemed to reflect through Frank’s whole demeanour as well as his body.


Tricia’s neck was very painful, and she felt vague and fuzzy and unable to think clearly or concentrate properly. A large metal box had fallen on her head two years earlier while clearing out the attic, gashing her head, squashing her neck, and knocking her to the floor. Initially she was in a very bad way and was taken to hospital. The cut was stitched and she was sent home. She had had severe headaches but these had subsided by now. The neck pain however had persisted and had become steadily worse. She had been back to the hospital and had received many weeks of physiotherapy, but her neck remained very painful and the lack of mental clarity was making life very difficult. She had been unable to work since the accident.
Tricia’s neck was quite crooked and the forces of compression from the heavy weight falling on her head were still clearly apparent in the tightness and contraction of the head, neck and shoulder. The effects on her mental state were partly due to the disturbance to the blood supply to the brain arising through the neck.
Several sessions steadily freed up the neck, released the compression, brought the head and neck back into balance, restored a fluent blood supply and nerve supply, and reintegrated the whole body. The neck pain eased fairly quickly. The restoration of mental clarity was a more gradual process, but as everything settled back into place, Tricia gradually returned to pain-free, clear-thinking health again.


Judith was in her 40s, suffering from various symptoms on her left side – tightness in her chest, pain and numbness down her left arm to her little finger. This had been developing for several years, gradually getting worse. The obvious immediate concern suggested by her symptoms was a possible heart condition. She had been to her doctor and undergone various tests which showed no cardiac pathology - and yet her symptoms were suggestive of a heart condition.
Tuning in to her cranio-sacral system, there was certainly a distinctive quality around her heart and her pericardium – but not the qualities of a heart pathology, more the qualities of contraction, containment, holding on to something, holding on to sadness, holding onto grief. As I treated her, my hands resting gently around her heart and pericardium, I told her about the qualities that I was feeling and asked her if it meant anything to her.
She explained that a few years earlier her husband had died. She had two small children so she had tried to be strong and supportive for them, and not upset them by showing her grief. She had tried to get on with life. As she talked, she began to cry. She continued to tell me her story and continued to cry gently as she spoke. She told me that she had never had a chance to express her grief, had never really cried about her husband’s death, and how it was such a relief to be able to talk about it and cry about it now.
As she spoke, the quality around her heart and pericardium softened, loosened, relaxed, opened up. Her symptoms, both in her chest and down her left arm, disappeared instantly - those symptoms that were indeed indicative of the heart, but not as a heart pathology, not anything that a cardiac test could reveal, but grief held in her heart.

>Back To Top<


Harry was a carpenter. At least he had been a carpenter. He was only in his early forties, but he was no longer able to work because his shoulders and arms had seized up so badly that he could hardly move them and certainly couldn’t do his job as a carpenter. He had no explanation for his predicament; it had just gradually developed over the years, steadily becoming worse and worse. Of course he had been to the doctor and had had extensive physiotherapy and osteopathy, but his shoulders and arms simply continued to seize up tighter and tighter.
They were certainly very restricted. It was difficult to get any movement out of them, especially the right shoulder. Within the context of overall treatment, I worked particularly with Fascial Unwinding on his right arm and shoulder. Progress was slow. For the first few sessions, there was only a slight increase in mobility, but Harry felt that there was at least some progress. During the sixth session, we were working as usual on unwinding his arm; as usual there was very little movement, but at least there was a little more each session. We reached a point of stillness, a point of resistance, and as so often with Harry the still point lasted a long time. Suddenly he cried out in pain and at the same time he announced: “I’ve just remembered something very strange. When I was 16, I was an apprentice carpenter, and me and the lads were working on this old house, cutting out rafters from the roof. We had to saw through these thick wooden beams above our heads and it was tough. My shoulder got really painful, but of course I didn’t want to look feeble in front of my mates, so I had to keep sawing. I’ve just felt that very same pain again in my shoulder. It’s really weird. I haven’t thought about that for years.”
Harry hadn’t wanted to look weak in front of his mates. He had suppressed the pain in order to carry on working. He had suppressed the pain by tightening up the surrounding muscles and he had been doing that ever since, building up layer upon layer of tension to prevent the old injury from rising to the surface, until his shoulder was so tense that he could hardly move it.
As we gradually unwound the layers of tension that had accumulated over the years, we eventually uncovered the original injury. At that point he re-experienced the pain of the injury, and simultaneously experienced a vivid memory of the incident – something he hadn’t thought about for almost 30 years - as the tissue memory was released. As that happened, there was a profound release in his shoulder; the tissues softened and his whole shoulder and arm became vastly more mobile. The pain passed fairly quickly and Harry was pleased with the new found mobility in his shoulder and arm. He needed a few more treatments, but soon he was back at work, able to do his job as a carpenter again after years of feeling that he would never work again.


Charles was a violinist, and quite an eminent soloist, but he was no longer able to perform because his shoulder had gradually become tighter and tighter over the years and had not only lost the flexibility required to play, but had also become increasingly painful, even on lifting his arm. There had been no specific injury; the condition seemed to have arisen simply from the persistent pattern of use. He had received many different treatments without significant benefit. A few sessions of Cranio-Sacral Therapy – including the specific application of Fascial Unwinding - was able to release the restrictions in his shoulder and arm very rapidly and he was soon able to resume his playing career.


Deirdre had broken her arm two years earlier. The fracture had healed, but she had been left with persistent pain in the forearm and wrist. This was particularly evident whenever she tried to write, at which point the pain would increase rapidly and spread up through her arm into her shoulder, neck and upper back, leaving her feeling tense, uncomfortable and unable to think clearly. She tried to avoid writing, but this was obviously very difficult within the demands of everyday life. She had received various treatments, but nothing had helped.
Within the context of Cranio-Sacral Integration, it was immediately apparent that Fascial Unwinding would be the most appropriate approach. As her arm unwound, it found its way to the position in which it had been injured and settled into a deep stillness. Deirdre felt a powerful surge of energy, like a powerful wave surging through the very core of her body and every part of her body; she began to feel very hot; she became very conscious of her diaphragm and started breathing very forcefully; her whole body started to pull into a twisted contorted position, shaking visibly.
The Fascial Unwinding process had connected with the shock imposed at the time of the original injury and held into her system ever since. As the trauma released, everything settled down. Deirdre felt weak and shaky and warm for a while, but she also felt very loose and felt a huge sense of relief. The quality of her whole body had changed, her face had changed; she felt relaxed and comfortable. The pain in her arm gradually disappeared over the next few days and she was able to write again without any discomfort.


Louise was a medical secretary and she suffered from a variety of symptoms. She had lower back pain, upper back pain, neck pain, headaches. When the back pain became uncomfortable it affected her digestion and her neck and shoulders became tight. None of her symptoms were severe, but they were a constant discomfort and, most frustratingly, they had been troubling her for many years. She had received regular osteopathic treatment for years. This treatment usually made her feel better temporarily, but the symptoms would always return.
Assessing her Cranio-Sacral system, it was immediately evident that the various imbalances in her body were arising primarily from her right ankle. Restrictions in her ankle were exerting pulls that were drawing her pelvis out of alignment, creating a series of imbalances up through her spine, leading to strain and pain at various points, mostly involving the standard mechanical pivots in the spine and especially affecting the Thoraco-Lumbar junction (T12/L1 vertebral level) disturbing her digestion, and the Cervico-Thoracic junction (C7/T1 vertebral level) with repercussions on her neck and shoulders.
She hadn’t mentioned her ankle, so I asked her about it and she replied that she had sprained her ankle about 15 years ago but it was so long ago that she didn’t think it was worth mentioning; and it didn’t trouble her – as long as she didn’t run.......or play sport....... or dance..........or go for long walks, which she used to love to do before her ankle injury. It seemed that her whole life had been changed by this ankle injury, but she had simply got used to the limitations, adapted her life and accepted that she would never be able to do any of these things that she loved doing.
The extensive treatment that she had received regularly brought her body back into alignment and felt better for a while, but it wasn’t addressing the source of the imbalance, so these pulls from the ankle kept re-instating the imbalance along with the various associated symptoms. No one had treated her ankle.
Ten minutes of Fascial Unwinding on her ankle released the restriction and her body could now settle into a balanced comfortable state again – and stay there. She felt the difference immediately, throughout her whole body. Louise didn’t need any further treatment, but she came back from time to time for an occasional check up, very pleased at being able to dance again and to resume her treasured long walks and all the other activities that her ankle and body were now able to carry out without any discomfort or adverse repercussions.



Cynthia was 82 years old and not very mobile. She was bent over, using walking sticks, and shuffling along somewhat uncomfortably. Her weekly physiotherapy sessions seemed to have done all they could. She had been receiving acupuncture for some time, and she just wondered if Cranio-Sacral Therapy might possibly help at all.
There was a considerable accumulation of tightness throughout her body (82 years worth), and there was plenty to do in terms of treatment, but her hips were the main source of restriction that were preventing her from walking freely. I treated her once a week and within the context of overall treatment, included some Fascial Unwinding of the hip. I started very carefully, just a little bit of brief very gentle unwinding, to see how she would respond, and not wanting to disturb years of accumulated compensations and adaptations too suddenly. She responded well. Within a few weeks she was standing upright, had abandoned her sticks and was walking freely and confidently. As we continued the treatments, she commented one day during the hip unwinding, as her left foot floated past her face “I think I might take up ballet dancing”.

>Back To Top<

The College of Cranio-Sacral Therapy.
9 St George's Mews, Primrose Hill, LONDON, NW1 8XE
Tel : 020 7483 0120
Clinic: 020 7586 0148